Saturday, January 21, 2012

Retiring A Flag

I was wondering what my blog would be about today, but as the family was beginning the process of retiring a flag, I realized what it should be.  I had taken a flag from a friend awhile back that was worn out and fraying and told her I would retire it properly for her as she didn't have the means.  So this morning we all sat down in the living room and went to work.

The red stripes were cut apart from the white and the blue field of stars was separated from the stripes.  All 50 of the stars were cut out from the blue.  It was a bit time consuming, but it was a nice feeling to know what we were doing.









After finishing, there were 4 piles of Old Glory on my couch.  My husband started a fire outside and one pile of colors at a time and with a moment of silence, we retired those wonderful colors.  I will admit it was a little emotional for me, but a moment I know I will always remember.












So if you have an old flag that is worn out, please don't just throw it in the trash.  Give it to someone to retire or retire it yourself.  Give our flag the respect that it deserves.

~I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.~

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Nothing like a good cry in the morning! We have a flag that has been out on the front porch for the deployment. It is looking very tattered and worn, but it won't come down till he is home. I know what we are going t do with it when he gets home! Thanks Becca, hope you are all enjoying being back together again. These last 2 months are crawling by so slow. I didn't realize all that went in to retirng a flag. Think we might have a little get together to retire it after he is home, and put up a new one. Thank you for helping me through this last year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! You keep that flag flying high and your chin up, you have done AWESOME this year and it is almost to come to an end! I'm always here for you sweetie! Double yes on the get together! Prayers for comfort for you and safe travels to the soldiers.
      It's hard to believe he has been home for nearly a month. We have enjoyed every minute of it. Don't forget to register for Yellow Ribbon, we will be there too!

      Delete
    2. How do I register for the Yellow Ribbon? I wonder what this yellow ribbon will be like. You have done AWESOME TOO!! I don't know how you did it! I ready for us to take the next step in our lives and have this deployment be a memory to look back on! I want to make a scrap book of this, but haven't had time to sit down and pull all the stuff out and get the creative juices flowwing yet. Lol! Hopefully soon.

      Delete